Admissions for 2020-2021
As the school year is coming to a close, we are looking ahead to student placement for the 2020-2021 school year. We have had many inquiries as to whether we are accepting referrals for next school year. We are currently adjusting our referral process in order to be able to conduct remote referral visits.
If you have a student in need of placement, please send a referral packet to the attention of Sandra Muldowney, Supervisor for Enrollment Services. This packet may be mailed directly to Lighthouse School or sent electronically to Ms. Muldowney at firstname.lastname@example.org, whichever is most convenient for you.
We will then contact you about the best platform to conduct the referral. We always welcome our LEA representatives to be part of the process and will be happy to accommodate your schedule in order for you to join us. We value our ongoing partnership with our districts and families as we work together to help our students experience growth and success.
Procedures for applying for admission
to Lighthouse School include:
- A formal referral packet from the sending school district
- A Pre-Enrollment Application filled out by the parent/guardian
- An on-site visit with the student and the parent/guardian(s)
- A comprehensive review by the Enrollment Team of the student’s health record
The formal referral packet from the referring school district should include the following:
- Reason for Referral
- Current IEP and Progress Reports
- Most recent school system evaluations
- Reports from hospitalizations and/or outside agencies
- MCAS testing status or results or Portfolio samples
- Transcripts for high school students
The following procedures are followed to determine whether a student will be admitted to Lighthouse School:
- A letter and Lighthouse School brochure are sent to the parents/guardians as soon as a referral visit appointment has been scheduled confirming the date and time and advising them that a complete health record, including an up-to-date physical and immunizations must be received before a student can be accepted.
- An onsite visit/interview, including a tour of the facility, is conducted with student, family or guardians and occasionally agencies involved with the student and family. The interview allows for the opportunity for the student and parents to see the school, meet the staff and to meet other enrolled students.
- The visit includes a detailed description of programs, treatment philosophy and policies.
- The Director of Clinical Services and Senior Coordinator for Clinical Services meet all the families and students at the time of the visit to make sure our policies and procedures are clear and to answer any further questions.
- At the end of the visit, there is a discussion with parents/guardians about the admissions process and a formal letter advising them of these procedures.
- Supervisory and Management Staff work together to decide whether the needs of the student can be met at Lighthouse School. Referral packets, staff recommendations and medical and clinical records are reviewed by the Enrollment Team at a weekly Enrollment meeting. Admissions decisions are generally made at this meeting, unless the team requires additional information.
- The school system is notified about the Enrollment Team decision immediately following the decision and the district works with the family to decide whether to accept placement at Lighthouse School.
Referrals can be mailed, faxed or emailed to:Sandra Muldowney, Supervisor for Enrollment
Lighthouse School, Inc.
25 Wellman Avenue
North Chelmsford, MA 01863
Enrollment Fax: 978.251.9643